Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur Update Failing

I have a MacBook Pro 16” that was bought in 2020 and I am trying to install the Big Sur update. However each time I have tried to install it it fails with 9 minutes left and pops up with a non descriptive error telling me to try again. Any idea what might be wrong or what I can do to fix it? I have tried the command+R restart trick but it's still happening.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 10:52 AM

Try booting into Safe Mode as you may have some third party software installed that is interfering.

Instead of booting into local Recovery Mode try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R (assuming you have an Intel Mac). If you have an M1 Mac, then you access the special boot options differently by holding the power button until you get the boot menu options.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 10:52 AM in response to beautifulgrace

Try booting into Safe Mode as you may have some third party software installed that is interfering.

Instead of booting into local Recovery Mode try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R (assuming you have an Intel Mac). If you have an M1 Mac, then you access the special boot options differently by holding the power button until you get the boot menu options.

macOS Big Sur Update Failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.