Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook M1 LCD screen crack

Have other MacBook Air M1 users had their computers screen spontaneously crack internally?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 8:28 PM

11 replies

Jun 29, 2021 6:44 PM in response to EppsSe

Hi EppsSe,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. Here to help.

For a physical issue with your Mac, we would suggest contacting Apple Support to arrange for service, or to bring the device into an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider.

Get Support - Apple

The above link will help you review your support options, while the next will help you prepare for service.

Get your Mac ready for service

Hope this helps! Take care for now.

Jun 29, 2021 7:25 PM in response to sterling r

I did make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your Lynnwood, Washington location. The man who helped me took a ten second look at my MacBook and said that it was caused by an accident. I assured him that the MacBook had not been dropped or in any way damaged. I was closing the MacBook when the screen cracked internally. I asked to speak to the manager and he said ok I’ll get him. He then went and had a conversation with the manager across the store. He came back and told me that I would be responsible for paying to have the lcd screen crack repaired myself. The cost is $450.00. They never inspected or looked at the computer for more than 10 seconds yet still blamed me for the problem. The outside of my computer and external screen is in perfect condition, I did not cause the internal screen to crack.

Aug 4, 2021 8:46 PM in response to EppsSe

I’m going through this exact issue atm. I bought the laptop in dec and didn’t end up using it. It sat on my desk for roughly 6 month. Went to use it one day and the screen was cracked. Total usage on the laptop was roughly 4 hours.

The housing was in the exact same condition as I bought it in. Not a single dent or scratch.

Took the MacBook to the retail store and forked out 910.00 for repairs only to find out couple of weeks later that other people have experienced the same issue.

Aug 12, 2021 3:21 AM in response to EppsSe

My MacBook M1 screen spontaneously cracked while sitting on my desk overnight. This occurred within the three months after I purchased it. Now, I have lines running on the right side and at the bottom of the screen. It has not been dropped, and I did not close the lid on anything such as dust, dirt or materials that would have caused a crack. When I spoke with Apple, they stated it must be my fault and asked me to pay for a new screen, which was 50%+ of the purchase price. My family has been using MacBooks for the last 10 years, and I do not think we can risk purchasing another one, if Apple is unwilling to solve this type of problem.

Aug 30, 2021 11:23 PM in response to EppsSe

Добрый день. Столкнулся с подобной проблемой. Буквально через 4 дня с момента покупки треснул дисплей в нижнем углу, а после в процессе использования матрица вышла из строя. Не обращался в сервисный центр, так как думал что я сделал что то не так и проблема только у меня. Подскажите пожалуйста, как поступить. Живу в городе, где нет официального сервисного центра.

Sep 2, 2021 7:11 PM in response to EppsSe

My M1 Macbook air screen ABSOLUTELY cracked by itself.  This crack emanated from the left bottom corner bezel about 4 inches.    This machine has been handled with nothing but care and never anything left on the screen, keyboard or bottom area.    No case nor camera cover or anything like that.  At the Eastview Apple store in Victor NY they said immediately that you must have cracked this yet there is no visible damage on the in or outside -  on the screen.    They had seen a few of these i’m sure by the way they acted.  They also said that since the crack was two-legged we must have done this.   One crack would have been something they could work with - hilarious.  I can send you pictures if you like.   I have had many MacBook laptops over the last 20 years  - and suffered through the 17 in version logic board failures that I was told for two years were not covered.   Then Apple came clean.   Luckily I did not purchase the versions with butterfly keys that took Apple forever to acknowledge.   I have another one of these m1 airs that my wife uses.  I hope it does not suffer the same defect.   YES _ IT IS A DEFECT and it will eventually come out.  It doesn’t matter if it’s widespread  - it is happening and if you own one you won’t be happy if you are the unlucky one.

Sep 8, 2021 7:47 AM in response to EppsSe

My new Macbook Pro M1 broke during normal usage!!

I received a Macbook a week ago and it has been on my desk since then. I closed the laptop yesterday and when I opened it up again there was an internal crack in the bottom left corner! No debris/obstructions were present and the laptop has not been dropped/damaged. How fragile is this product that it can break spontaneously?! I am so disappointed.

Oct 15, 2021 7:12 PM in response to EppsSe

Just happened to me as well. All I did was close the MacBook and heard a weird noise. I opened it and saw nothing. The next day in bright daylight I could see 2 hairline cracks near the "MacBook" logo. There was nothing there, no impediment or anything that could've gotten trapped. It literally happened just from closing the screen from the top. Im pretty concerned about the fragility of this generation's screen now.

I have an appointment to see Apple techs on Monday next week but the phone rep said that this issue is "cosmetic" and will likely not be covered by my warranty (still under 1yr) which would be a disgrace if so. I've been an Apple user for almost 20yrs now with several MacBooks lasting me near a decade without issues like this.

MacBook M1 LCD screen crack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.