Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages and Android phones

I have an iPhone 7 and, until recently, my sister had an iPhone SE. She has now changed to an Android phone however, since that change, when I send a message to her, it still sends as an iMessage which means that she doesn’t receive it on the new phone. Messages to other Android phones work fine but those contacts have always had Android phones.

Is there a way of sending messages to her as SMS’s without turning off iMessages completely?

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 7:30 AM

Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online

https://support.apple.com/HT203042

If you switched to a non-Apple phone and aren't getting SMS/MMS messages, you might need to deregister iMessage.

5 replies

Jun 29, 2021 8:43 AM in response to Limnos

Sorry but you have misunderstood my question. It is my sister who has switched to a non Apple phone not me. When I try to send a message to her from my iPhone it sends as an iMessage which she doesn’t receive on her new phone. What I want is for my message to go to her phone as an SMS without disabling my phone from sending iMessages to iPhones.

Jun 29, 2021 9:10 AM in response to bgtodd

I literally just copied and pasted what Apple said, not personalizing it for this exact situation. Those are things she needs to do since she was the one who switched. Messages still thinks she should get messages to her Apple ID as iMessages and she needs to tell it not to use iMessage for her.

Jun 29, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for that. I had previously told her to disable iMessages on her old iPhone but, at the time, that didn’t resolve my problem.

I then remembered that, within the info that you sent was a comment that it may take some time for other Apple devices to recognise the disabling of iMessages so I thought I should check again. When I looked at the relevant messages I realised that, instead of them showing her Contact name, it was now showing her email address.

I then started a new message (not a follow on from the previous messages under her email address), it then gave me the option of selecting to send a text message to her phone number so the problem is now resolved.

Thanks again.

iMessages and Android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.