Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Apple ID and account info. for daughters phone

Hello, I bought my daughter an iPhone 11 about a year ago and created an Apple ID account for her using MY info. I was an Android user but now just bought the 12Pro Max for myself and am new at iPhone. When I got mine going, all her content transferred to my phone and mine to hers. I went in and deleted her phone from my Apple ID account and we deleted each others content. However, now we can't seem to be able to change just her Apple ID info. as it's tied to mine still. Our question: How do we delete the Apple ID and my icloud email account from her phone so it stays just with me and create a whole new ID and email for just her?

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 7:51 AM

Click here to see how to 'Create an Apple ID'. --> https://support.apple.com/HT204316

Once you have separate IDs there should be no mixing of content. If you do want to share things look into Family Sharing.

To learn how to 'Set up Family Sharing', click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT201088

Similar questions

9 replies

Jun 30, 2021 8:07 AM in response to 3Riv1

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion.

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Jul 7, 2021 11:03 AM in response to 3Riv1

#4 makes me think of this:

Discover how to 'Check your Apple ID device list to see where you‘re signed in'

click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT205064

- "Permanently remove a device from your account page

If you're still signed in with your Apple ID on the device, it might reappear on your account page the next time your device connects to the Internet. To permanently remove the device from your account page, sign out of iCloud, iTunes & App Stores, iMessage, FaceTime, and Game Center on that device, or erase that device."

Generally what you are trying to do by "cloning" an ID isn't done and doing it can be messy. Normally one would create a new ID and set up a completely wiped iPhone with the new ID, of course then gradually configuring it with personal items such as adding contacts from the paper Rolodex on you desk, etc.

Jul 6, 2021 8:10 PM in response to Eric Root

Hello, we seem to be stuck. Because I removed my daughters phone from my ID account, her phone is now requesting that she sign into her App ID with my info. Is there a way to completely remove my ID from her phone and have her just start all over with her own ID, icloud email, etc.? I'm not seeing that option in the articles, only how to add a new ID to an existing ID or changing from one existing to another existing. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2021 10:13 AM in response to 3Riv1

Because I removed my daughters phone from my ID account, her phone is now requesting that she sign into her App ID with my info.

I am finding all that slightly confusing, sorry. :-(

You don't remove her phone from your account, you remove your account from her phone. Did you sign out of your Apple ID on the phone and did she sign in with her Apple ID? Did you systematically go through Settings and check where you can have a different account be set for things such as Mail? Note that any apps downloaded with your Apple ID will require your Apple ID for updating until you set up Family Sharing and she downloads them with her Apple ID.

Jul 7, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you for being patient with us on this... Here's what I did initially (hope this helps)

1.) Bought her iphone a few years ago and set up the App.ID all under my info because I was using Android. I let her use the email account that I created as well as anything else that would be associated under that ID.

2.) Bought my first iphone a couple weeks ago and when I connected it to my Android for transferring stuff, I entered the ID that was created for my daughters phone (prob. should have done something different but it is what it is now).

3.) All her stuff (3K pictures as an example) instantly appeared on my new phone.

4.) I went into my Apple ID (her's I guess, on the computer) and removed her phone from my account.

5.) We signed out from the ID on her phone (my ID) thinking there must be way to delete the ID from that phone but no such luck.

6.) Last night we created her a whole new Apple ID with a new gmail email tied to it - all her info., ....went onto her phone to see if there was a way to enter in the new ID but I can't seem to find out how to do this since her phone is active and is still trying to make us log on using my ID info.

I guess my question would be, is there a way to get someplace on her phone to enter a new ID so my ID is no longer active on her phone? There's nothing that I can find that asks to enter your Apple ID, it just automatically pulls up mine and wants me to log in. I'm afraid if I do this, all her stuff will again get transferred over to my phone - or maybe it won't since I removed her phone from my account (via the website for Apple ID).

Again, thanks so much for helping us out on this. I know we can do this! :)

Changing Apple ID and account info. for daughters phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.