Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I set formatting for Hyperlinks in table

I have an existing table with hyperlinks to webpages. When I place the cursor at the end of the text and press space it turns it into a hyperlink, but the text remains black. How can I format the table so that the text changes to the standard hyperlink blue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 3:49 PM

You can select all the cells with links and change the text color.

I would think you could redefine the "link" character style (so it would be the chosen color by default) but that option is grayed out for me. Maybe someone else knows how to do it, if it can be done.

5 replies

Jul 1, 2021 4:44 PM in response to tkyoung75

One more time please, I didn't get it. I'm sure it is simple, I must be doing something wrong.

1. I select a blank cell and type a URL. It turns into a link but as black text with an underline.
  2. I select the text of the link. The character style says it is "link". When I click the arrow to the right of "link", all options are grayed out except "shortcut". No problem so far; I've made no changes to the style yet.
  3. I change the text color to blue. The link turns blue.
  4. The character style is still "link" and the only non-gray option is still "shortcut". I think I need "redefine from selection" but it is gray.
  5. In another cell I type a URL. It turns into a link but, same as before, it is black text with an underline, not blue.

Jul 2, 2021 12:14 AM in response to Badunit

At step 3, including the 'space' used to create the link makes a difference.

1. Type something like apple.com, and turn it into a link by pressing the spacebar
  2. Highlight the link text only, not the space.
  3. Change text colour to blue (keep highlighted, or cursor on the link text)
  4. The character style now shows as "link*". Pressing the arrow to the right of "link*" shows the various character styles in the document, presented in their respective formats. Next to the character style "link" is an [update] button. Clicking the update button will now change that style to blue (matching the cursor selection).
  5. any further links should now come up with the updated format.

Jul 2, 2021 11:06 AM in response to tkyoung75

I see. This seems to be a bug.

1. I enter a link by typing the url then hitting Return. I don't put an unnecessary space after the URL, it is not required. I cannot redefine the link style using the link in this cell. I can change the text color but not redefine the link style from it.
  2. I enter a link in a different cell but with a leading or trailing space. I can redefine the link style from this cell. It applies it to the other link as well.
  3. I enter a link in a third cell the way I usually do without any spaces. Now it lets me redefine the link style from it without needing the extraneous space.

It should not be that way.

How Do I set formatting for Hyperlinks in table

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.