Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Load a MacBook Pro 2011 with latest 96W charger

Hi all,

I have an old MacBook Pro from 2011. Its still running fine.

After 10 years of highly usage the mag safe charger looks a little bit used :-) Its time to order a new one. Now, I wonder if I could use the 96Watt charger of my 16 inc MacBook Pro from 2019 with a usb-c to magsafe cable?

Did anyone tried this before? I know the 96 Watt charger provides 20V and the old one only 16-18V. Can the 96 watt charger decrease the voltage to 16-18V or only to 15V, like written on the 96 Watt charger?

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 7:36 AM

FloVogt wrote:

Hi all,
After 10 years of highly usage the mag safe charger looks a little bit used :-) Its time to order a new one. Now, I wonder if I could use the 96Watt charger of my 16 inc MacBook Pro from 2019 with a usb-c to magsafe cable?
Did anyone tried this before? I know the 96 Watt charger provides 20V and the old one only 16-18V. Can the 96 watt charger decrease the voltage to 16-18V or only to 15V, like written on the 96 Watt charger?

The extra expense is wasted monies— you Mac will regulate the input down to what is spec'd for...

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 7:36 AM in response to FloVogt

FloVogt wrote:

Hi all,

The extra expense is wasted monies— you Mac will regulate the input down to what is spec'd for...

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700

Load a MacBook Pro 2011 with latest 96W charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.