Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud on windows and disk space management

I'm using icloud on windows and I am running out of space on my pc. How do I manage icloud drive so the files remain on icloud but don't take up space on my PC.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 1:35 PM

Hello boxL,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are wondering how to manage the storage on your PC since your photos are taking up a lot of space. You also note that you’re using iCloud Photos as well. We’d be happy to help you!

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support -- As you can see from this section of the article, if you delete a photo from iCloud on one device, it deletes them on all of them. To delete the photos and videos taking up space on your Windows PC, turn iCloud Photos off in iCloud for Windows. Be aware that if you turn it back on, iCloud will start syncing the photos and videos it holds back to your PC.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2021 1:35 PM in response to boxL

Hello boxL,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are wondering how to manage the storage on your PC since your photos are taking up a lot of space. You also note that you’re using iCloud Photos as well. We’d be happy to help you!

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support -- As you can see from this section of the article, if you delete a photo from iCloud on one device, it deletes them on all of them. To delete the photos and videos taking up space on your Windows PC, turn iCloud Photos off in iCloud for Windows. Be aware that if you turn it back on, iCloud will start syncing the photos and videos it holds back to your PC.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

Jul 5, 2021 1:25 PM in response to karina184

Hello,

I guess that iCloud drive is not intended for my use-case. Essentially I am looking for a cloud storage to act as a NAS Fileserver so I can access files from my PC but they only take up space in the cloud. I am not concerned with syncing across devices, but that seems to be the intended use-case for iCloud drive.

I guess these replies answered my questions but the real answer is that iCloud won't solve my problem.

Icloud on windows and disk space management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.