Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No password required after waking from sleep

Is this normal? When I put my late 2015 iMac running 11.4 to sleep using 'sleep' from the Apple menu, it doesn't require my password to get back in after waking. File vault is turned on. This seems very strange and insecure. I assumed it would require my password. I don't remember it being this way in the past. I now use shift command q to lock my Mac when I walk away. My screen saver's set to trigger after 10 minutes. This requires a password to get back into the computer. Unfortunately, since the computer is sleeping the screen saver never triggers. Seems like an 'oops' on Apple's part. Thoughts?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 4:39 PM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2021 5:54 PM in response to ADD28

It sounds like something is or has confused the OS.

Reboot your computer and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't fix the issue, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup).

It takes longer to safe boot so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode? 

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again after a normal reboot.

Jul 1, 2021 5:47 PM in response to ADD28

Accidentally hit the solved button. Not sure how to undo that... This is not solved.

Thanks for the response., but that's not the issue. It's when sleep is selected from the apple menu, not from timing out and going to sleep or after the screen saver kicks in. I have the setting set to 5 seconds because I have a hot corner that triggers the screen saver. My mouse sometimes hits that corner, so it's a paint o have to ever my password each time. Five seconds keeps that from happening. I have, however, tried it with 'immediately' selected and still no password needed.

No password required after waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.