Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an aol email account which i access via al my apple devices. Yerterday I was unable to access on all my apple products. I am able to access via aol web page, and have been able to re-establish access on my iPhone, but not on my Macbook air.

I am unable to login to my aol account via mail on my Macbook air(13 inch 2014, running on MAC OS High sierra version 10.13.6).

I have followed all the steps on the mail-help support but no luck.

I do not have any problem logging on vial aol's web page.

I removed my account and added it once again; this worked on my iPhone but not on my Macbook Air.

I go to mail, add account, select AOL as my provider and enter my profile and password and get a response that either address or password is wrong; which is not the case because I do login on my iPhone and AOL website.

Please help!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 6:44 PM

Hello, auxilio.

If you find yourself getting the error “Unable to Verify / User ID or Password Incorrect” from the Mail app, It’s not you. It’s probably because after recent security changes were made there, AOL thinks the Mac Mail app is not secure if it’s from macOS 10.13 or older, and they won’t let Mail connect to their servers– unless you create a special, “app-specific password” and use that– and not your “real” AOL password– in the Mail app..

Even though you know the password for your AOL account– one way to be sure: go to aol.com in a browser and sign in there to prove that you know it– Mail on a Mac will not work with that password if your Mac is on 10.13 or earlier. 

The solution: a custom, special “app password,” generated by AOL, just for the Mail program.

Creating an app-specific password is easy, and AOL provides directions. After you create the app-specific password, write it down for safekeeping. Better yet, copy it so you can paste it without making a typo.

Once you’ve received you app specific password from AOL, return to Mail > Preferences > Accounts and input the new password into your account.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 6:44 PM in response to auxilio

Hello, auxilio.

If you find yourself getting the error “Unable to Verify / User ID or Password Incorrect” from the Mail app, It’s not you. It’s probably because after recent security changes were made there, AOL thinks the Mac Mail app is not secure if it’s from macOS 10.13 or older, and they won’t let Mail connect to their servers– unless you create a special, “app-specific password” and use that– and not your “real” AOL password– in the Mail app..

Even though you know the password for your AOL account– one way to be sure: go to aol.com in a browser and sign in there to prove that you know it– Mail on a Mac will not work with that password if your Mac is on 10.13 or earlier. 

The solution: a custom, special “app password,” generated by AOL, just for the Mail program.

Creating an app-specific password is easy, and AOL provides directions. After you create the app-specific password, write it down for safekeeping. Better yet, copy it so you can paste it without making a typo.

Once you’ve received you app specific password from AOL, return to Mail > Preferences > Accounts and input the new password into your account.

I have an aol email account which i access via al my apple devices. Yerterday I was unable to access on all my apple products. I am able to access via aol web page, and have been able to re-establish access on my iPhone, but not on my Macbook air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.