Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a website grab your IP address and show it to other websites and people without your permission?

Im a bit worried since sometimes i find sites that are just a blank page and I’m worried if they’re websites that grab my Ip, thank you

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 9:58 PM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2021 5:11 PM in response to Throwawayaccount123

Hi there Throwawayaccount123,

Thanks for contacting the Apple Support Communities today!

We understand you're concerned about privacy an websites checking your IP address when visiting their sites.

While we can't guarantee a website is safe, Safari does have some great built-in privacy and security options to help protect you while browsing.

You can find information about all of the great features in Safari by checking out Apple's Guide here. While reviewing, be sure to check out all of the options in the table of contents for Privacy & Security as well: Prevent cross-site tracking in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If you want even more protection while browsing, check out the Private Browsing option here: Use Private Browsing in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

We hope you have a great day!

Cheers!

Jul 3, 2021 6:06 AM in response to Throwawayaccount123

Short answer is yes, your IP address is public knowledge. Every website you visit records your IP address. That’s how the internet works. Tracing your IP back to you personally is a different matter and would require your internet provider’s cooperation, usually through a court order or other legal means.

Another consideration is that your IP address changes from time to time, determined by your internet provider’s policies. Static IP addresses (ones that never change) are usually used by businesses and cost more.

Can a website grab your IP address and show it to other websites and people without your permission?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.