Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 microphone too sensitive.

Hi, I'm having a problem with my microphone. Although the quality of the microphone is stellar, the microphone is too sensitive and picks up certain noises incredibly loud. Sounds such as the dog barking or my hand sweeping across the mic's location causes the mic input to spike on the listener's end and make deafening sounds that hurt the listener's ears. Lowering the input volume is not a solution, as it doesn't change the loudness of these noises significantly while making me inaudible when I speak. Is there any way to lower the sensitivity of the microphone, or limit the maximum audio input level the mic can pick up?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 3:38 AM

Here is an article that may help.

4 replies

Jul 4, 2021 1:39 PM in response to Sean_W.

Unfortunately, neither of these solve the issue. Lowering my own input volume doesn't change anything besides making myself inaudible, while the audio spikes from the mic's sensitivity still hurt others' ears. This is especially the case on the M1 where the microphone is right next to your left hand, and any physical contact remotely close to the mic's location causes these audio spikes. This has been an issue with any model, but the location of the microphone of the M1 is especially bad. What I need is some form of audio compression for the microphone before it passes its input to any program connected to my microphone. No system setting accounts for audio spikes, or microphone sensitivity at this moment.

Jul 20, 2021 11:56 PM in response to Eduard_S

yes, indeed. I have MacBook Air M1, and microphone is very sensitive. I think it located below the "fn" button, because when touched the "fn" the audio is spiking very loud. Audio spiking also happens when typing. I noticed audio spiking when using ladio cast app. So, I can listen to what is caught from the microphone. It's very annoying sometimes. luckily, I rarely use video calling apps while typing or doing something around the microphone

Macbook Air M1 microphone too sensitive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.