Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my disk still not appearing in disk utility

I was erasing everything from my disk and I erase the disk, and now its not appearing on the disk utility

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 12:44 PM

10 replies

Aug 3, 2021 5:09 PM in response to somujan

Sometimes Apple's utilities get confused so try erasing the beginning of both the SSD and HD before trying to create the Fusion Drive again. To erase just the beginning of the drives use the following command, but make sure to replace "diskX" with the correct drive identifier. You need to use the command once on the SSD and once on the HD:

sudo  dd  if=/dev/zero   of=/dev/diskX  bs=100m  count=10

Sometimes destroying the partition tables this way will allow macOS to properly recreate a Fusion Drive. If you cannot recreate the Fusion Drive, then try using Disk Utility to erase the SSD, then erase the HD so they are separate storage volumes. If you get an error, then immediately try erasing the same drive again as I've seen the Disk Utility GUI fail for some unknown reason, yet succeed on the second attempt made immediately after the failure. This way you may be able to tell which drive is at fault (most likely the hard drive is failing).

If you have a full macOS external boot drive, then you can run DriveDx to check the health of the internal SSD and HD. Post the reports for each one here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you don't have a full macOS external boot drive, then I can provide instructions for creating and using a bootable Linux USB stick to check the health of the SSD and HD if you are interested. You could try running the Apple Diagnostics as well, but unfortunately the diagnostics don't catch most drive failures.

Aug 2, 2021 5:51 AM in response to somujan

The "View" icon option only appears within Disk Utility for macOS 10.13+ although there should be a "View" menu on the menubar.

If you are booting into macOS 10.12 or earlier, then the default view already shows the physical drives on the left pane of Disk Utility. If the physical drive does not appear on the left pane of Disk Utility, then it usually means the drive has failed. In my screenshot the "Apple SSD AP0512Q Media" item is the physical drive. Of course older versions of Disk Utility will look a bit different than my screenshot which shows Disk Utility from Big Sur.

Jul 7, 2021 6:54 PM in response to aqueitstrength

aqueitstrength wrote:

I had this issue too. Followed Apple's directions to "Erase all in Group" PER THEIR INSTRUCTIONS and now it says start up disk can't be found. Help?

It's using the internet based start up and won't install OSX cause it says a drive can't be found.

Do you see the physical drive when you follow @BDAqua's suggestion above? If you don't see the physical drive, then it means the drive has failed. Or it may mean you are not booting macOS 10.13+ if you have a third party PCIe SSD installed or a bad SSD Adapter if you are using a third party M.2 SSD.

my disk still not appearing in disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.