You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text messages not synching on new mac mini

Just set up a new Mac Mini using Setup Assistant to copy files and settings from the old Mini to the new. Everything seems to be running OK except receipt of new text messages since then has been spotty. Some seem to synch with what came on my phone and some don’t.

Tried signing out of iCloud, restarting, then back in. Signing out of Messages, restart and back in.

I Have been able to test some texts back & forth with my wife’s phone that synch into the new Mini. But they still show as coming from her phone number instead of name. Don’t know yet if other texts will synch or not.

How do I get Messages back???

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 10:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
6 replies

Jul 2, 2021 11:25 PM in response to Marc Stergionis1

Hey there!

Is it just your Wife’s contact that doesn’t show a name, but number only? I think that’s an important question.

Otherwise, if it is multiple contacts:

Can you say if the same happens with iMessage and/or Text Message? (Blue bubble vs. Green bubble).

Do you also use iCloud Messages? (Check Messages > Preferences > iCloud.

In those same General Preferences, do the same settings match what your iPhone shows in Settings > Messages > Send and Receive?

Another good setting to look at there is Text Message Forwarding, make sure it’s turned on for your Mac.

Hope that helps, let me know how it goes!

Jul 3, 2021 11:45 AM in response to DiZoE

From what I'm seeing now, the messages that are not syncing to the Mini seem to be only when recipient or sender has an Android phone, And Even if one of the members of a group text has an Android phone, then it's not syncing to the Mini..

Here's what I've done in the interim:

The problem with senders/recipients changing to phone numbers instead of their names corrected by itself.

I did have to go in to Messages prefs on my phone and found that the toggle for the new Mini was off in the Text Message Forwarding area, although it was syncing some, but not all, messages to the Mini before I switched it on. Enable iCloud messages was on in MIni's prefs for Messages.

SMS and MMS are both on in the iPhone prefs.

Jul 3, 2021 6:53 PM in response to Marc Stergionis1

Hey again!

If iCloud Messages is on for the Mac, is it also on for the iPhone?

Settings > Name > iCloud > Messages.

If it’s off on the phone and you don’t normally sync Messages to iCloud, I’d disable it on the Mac.

Otherwise, if you would like to sync with iCloud I’d turn it on on the phone to match the Mac settings, as whatever the case is, the settings should match.

Likewise, if it is an issue with text messages and not iMessages, most likely it’s an issue with the carrier/sim card/the phones ability to forward the messages correctly, however most of the time, if all the settings match, it works just fine.

Note, if you are using iCloud with Messages, you’d also want to make sure there is enough storage in iCloud to hold all of the messages, however as you described it, I’m sure that’s not the case.

Let me know how it goes!

text messages not synching on new mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.