Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my IOS device safe from hacking?

I just recently knew about this jailbreaking on phone thing...and I don’t even know how to do that. But here’s an experience i’m really curios of, so I might had unconsciously visited unsafe websites (what I mean is there was no ‘S’ on the ’https’ of the url and those websites didn’t look suspicious or anything, atleast for me) while I was trying to download an apk app on my ipad. I got to download an apk file but it doesn’t run cause obviously it’s apk. Fyi I have tried downloading many other apk files but it doesn’t finish because I had to download apps or give my email, and I didn’t want that so I would immediately cancel it. Anyway that apk file that successfully downloaded, I deleted it after not being able to run it. After these, As far as I remember, My ipad didn’t have any suspicious and weird activities. And these happened before I even knew what jailbreaking was, i’m just curios if my ipad might have been hacked when I tried downloading those files or if I should be worried?

Thank you. Up to now there’s no suspicious activities tho.

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 2:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 2:46 AM

Due to the system architecture of iOS/iPadOS, unless jailbroken (don’t go there!), your iPad is not susceptible to traditional malware infection per-se. However, as with all computer systems, there are still vulnerabilities and exploits to which you remain vulnerable.

Be wary of the myth that Apple devices are immune to malware; those that perpetuate this untruth do not fully comprehend the broader threat landscape. Consider that if the myth (and over-generalisation) were true, Apple would not need to expend considerable resources in developing and issuing regular security updates and patches for their products.

While your iPad is unlikely to be directly infected by malware, it is still possible to easily download an “infected” file to the iPad - which if transferred elsewhere still has the capacity to infect other computer systems with malware. As such, as executable code for iPad is only available from the App Store, it makes no sense to attempt to download these materials from other sources.

If you know the code cannot run under iOS/iPadOS, why take the risk of exposing your device to code which might exploit an un-patched vulnerability? This is called avoidable risk.

Should you wish to add a degree of useful protection to your iPad, whilst acknowledging that there are no bona-fide anti-virus products for iOS/iPadOS, there are a small number of Apps which do add useful defences. Browser and network-based attacks can largely be mitigated by installing a good, Content and Ad-blocking product. One of the very best and most respected within the Apple App Store - designed for iPad, iPhone and Mac - is 1Blocker for Safari.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/1blocker-for-safari/id1365531024

1Blocker is highly configurable - and crucially does not rely upon an external proxy-service of dubious provenance. All processing takes place on your device - and contrary to expectations, Safari will run faster and more efficiently. 

Unwanted content is not simply filtered after download (a technique used by basic/inferior products), but instead undesirable embedded content blocked form download. A further benefit on metered services, such as cellular connections where you data may be capped or chargeable, this not only improves speed but also saves you money.

1Blocker has also introduced its new “Firewall” functions - that are explicitly designed to block “trackers”. Being implemented at the network-layer, this additional protection works across all Apps.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2021 2:46 AM in response to apple_user_7

Due to the system architecture of iOS/iPadOS, unless jailbroken (don’t go there!), your iPad is not susceptible to traditional malware infection per-se. However, as with all computer systems, there are still vulnerabilities and exploits to which you remain vulnerable.

Be wary of the myth that Apple devices are immune to malware; those that perpetuate this untruth do not fully comprehend the broader threat landscape. Consider that if the myth (and over-generalisation) were true, Apple would not need to expend considerable resources in developing and issuing regular security updates and patches for their products.

While your iPad is unlikely to be directly infected by malware, it is still possible to easily download an “infected” file to the iPad - which if transferred elsewhere still has the capacity to infect other computer systems with malware. As such, as executable code for iPad is only available from the App Store, it makes no sense to attempt to download these materials from other sources.

If you know the code cannot run under iOS/iPadOS, why take the risk of exposing your device to code which might exploit an un-patched vulnerability? This is called avoidable risk.

Should you wish to add a degree of useful protection to your iPad, whilst acknowledging that there are no bona-fide anti-virus products for iOS/iPadOS, there are a small number of Apps which do add useful defences. Browser and network-based attacks can largely be mitigated by installing a good, Content and Ad-blocking product. One of the very best and most respected within the Apple App Store - designed for iPad, iPhone and Mac - is 1Blocker for Safari.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/1blocker-for-safari/id1365531024

1Blocker is highly configurable - and crucially does not rely upon an external proxy-service of dubious provenance. All processing takes place on your device - and contrary to expectations, Safari will run faster and more efficiently. 

Unwanted content is not simply filtered after download (a technique used by basic/inferior products), but instead undesirable embedded content blocked form download. A further benefit on metered services, such as cellular connections where you data may be capped or chargeable, this not only improves speed but also saves you money.

1Blocker has also introduced its new “Firewall” functions - that are explicitly designed to block “trackers”. Being implemented at the network-layer, this additional protection works across all Apps.

Jul 3, 2021 1:00 PM in response to apple_user_7

Whilst it is impossible to provide complete assurance that your iPad is entirely free from exploit, it is unlikely that your iPad has been compromised.

Whilst your iPad is resistant to malware and exploit, it is always prudent to avoid risk where possible. Installing 1Blocker will provide a significant level of protection, changing your DNS settings from automatic settings, to using a security focussed recursive DNS provider, costs nothing - and adds a layer of useful protection. This can either be set on a per-device basis in Settings, or can be set-up on your home Router. I recommend using one of the following services, for which IPv4 ad IPv6 server address are included here:

Quad9 (recommended)

2620:fe::fe

2620:fe::9

OpenDNS

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

Cloudflare+APNIC

2606:4700:4700::1111

2606:4700:4700::1001

Use of the above DNS services will help to shield you from “known bad” websites and URLs - and when used alongside 1Blocker, provides defense in depth.

I hope this reassurance and guidance proves to be helpful in addressing any issues with suspect malware and malicious websites.

Is my IOS device safe from hacking?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.