Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted desktop + documents + downloads FOLDER!? FROM FINDER!?

I was cleaning my storage when I saw my old dropbox folder. I decided to delete it, and it DELETED MY WHOLE DESKTOP + DOCUMENTS + DOWNLOADS FOLDER???

The time machine won't work, which is the most serious thing (I backup daily)

Now I can't even drag the dropbox folder out of my trash since I don't have a desktop

I still have my applications though (working condition), and my iCloud files, just that it says that desktop alias can't be opened

What do I do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 4:30 AM

Open finder > desktop , documents , downloads folders can be removed ( just right click on them and remove from side bar ) , perhaps can't be deleted to trash .

Open finder preferences > sidebar section check the box of them they will again appear in finder side bar .

See the article Change preferences in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

You can open trash of Mac ( just right click on trash icon and click on open ) , tap once on the drop box folder and click on put back .

Second method is click on finder , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > hold option key and click on library > click on public

Again open trash of Mac and drag and drop the dropbox folder in the location of public folder .

By mistake if you delete the drop box folder in trash and empty the trash , a new folder can be created ( right click in the column and create a new folder and name as Drop box ) .

You had a practice of saving drop box folder in the side bar .

Note : don't change default location of drop box , and save in finder side bar .

See some articles Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Organize files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2021 4:30 AM in response to Curtis_Wei

Open finder > desktop , documents , downloads folders can be removed ( just right click on them and remove from side bar ) , perhaps can't be deleted to trash .

Open finder preferences > sidebar section check the box of them they will again appear in finder side bar .

See the article Change preferences in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

You can open trash of Mac ( just right click on trash icon and click on open ) , tap once on the drop box folder and click on put back .

Second method is click on finder , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > hold option key and click on library > click on public

Again open trash of Mac and drag and drop the dropbox folder in the location of public folder .

By mistake if you delete the drop box folder in trash and empty the trash , a new folder can be created ( right click in the column and create a new folder and name as Drop box ) .

You had a practice of saving drop box folder in the side bar .

Note : don't change default location of drop box , and save in finder side bar .

See some articles Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Organize files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

Deleted desktop + documents + downloads FOLDER!? FROM FINDER!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.