Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library migration

If I export a photos library from one mac to import into a new one that already has some of the included photos but some other photos as well, will the process of importing reconcile the duplicates that exist?

If not, then can anyone recommend a process that won't interfere with the albums of the primary photos library that can deal with duplicates?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 10:42 AM

BizzleRizzle456 wrote:

If I export a photos library from one mac to import into a new one that already has some of the included photos but some other photos as well, will the process of importing reconcile the duplicates that exist?

Yes. However, you will lose any edits you might have made.

The best way would be to use the paid version of PowerPhotos to copy the photo or albums of photos from Library B into Library A. PowerPhotos will also look for duplicates and exclude them. It will include metadata, edited and original versions and more.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2021 10:42 AM in response to BizzleRizzle456

BizzleRizzle456 wrote:

Yes. However, you will lose any edits you might have made.

The best way would be to use the paid version of PowerPhotos to copy the photo or albums of photos from Library B into Library A. PowerPhotos will also look for duplicates and exclude them. It will include metadata, edited and original versions and more.

Photos library migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.