Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

buy computer now with new software on the way in fall?

Hey all,

Never had a apple computer before. Been quite disappointed with the continual performance of Microsoft. Just want a decent computer that will work without too many headaches. Mostly only do email, web surfing, and lightroom/photoshop for photos.

I am interested in the MacBook 13" with the M1 processor. However, I just found out Apple is introducing a new operating system in fall sometime.

So the question is:

how do apple computers do with major software updates?? Should I wait until fall to buy a MacBook with the new OS already installed, or will buying now and then upgrading in fall be acceptable??

I ask because every time there is a update with Microsoft, my laptop goes slower and slower, it is very annoying.

Thanks ahead of time for input :-)

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 11:50 AM

I have never had a problem with updating a Mac computer or with an update resulting in slower performance. Apple has a history of releasing major updates for Macs once a year and several minor updates during the year. I wouldn't hesitate to buy now just because of an update coming this fall. However something that I would consider is that Apple typically releases some new models in the fall each year and if you want the latest and greatest hardware, that possibility may be a reason to wait.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2021 11:50 AM in response to chorky1

I have never had a problem with updating a Mac computer or with an update resulting in slower performance. Apple has a history of releasing major updates for Macs once a year and several minor updates during the year. I wouldn't hesitate to buy now just because of an update coming this fall. However something that I would consider is that Apple typically releases some new models in the fall each year and if you want the latest and greatest hardware, that possibility may be a reason to wait.

Jul 4, 2021 12:26 PM in response to chorky1

chorky1:

Be aware of hardware limitations on performance; with newer releases of computer, that are

key to better usefulness and costs of admission to get higher level best configuration to use

with the Apple silicon evolution underway. Impressive specs, though, these models highlight.

The early releases of M1/M2 and step upgrades to fine-tune the macOS via updates, are

critical too; since with the hardware, you buy into the performance level per pricepoint.

Many of Big Sur update steps have been needed to adjust a newer hardware match and

set the bar higher, for better use of new Silicon M1/M2/x. ~ At an affordable level, those

least expensive early M1 units aren't foolproof, or anywhere near trouble-free just yet.

Updates/upgrades aside, third-party 'pro software' is still playing catch-up; and so on..

At least the big bugs are getting worked out with Big Sur. Ahead of a newer batch in

macOS Monterey12.

Jul 4, 2021 1:35 PM in response to K Shaffer

good point. so i've done some researching this year and heard some birdies talk about a potential second iteration (or upgrade) to the M1 already this fall? my thoughts are maybe they are working to put out new laptop hardware and match it with the new mac os which is suposed to be out in fall according to Apple. I also heard of a new iphone coming in fall as well. thats an awful lot of new stuff at the same time (but it just so happens I need a new phone as well, as mine is not working the greatest). the ever and always unanswerable question though is when has sufficient time passed to consider hardware/software stable?? It seems with microsoft stuff there are always issues with every update. i am tired of that, and was hoping that mac might be more stable with less problems - as my iphone has rarely given me major issues compared to other phones. maybe trying to get buy until fall is the best option.

Jul 4, 2021 2:41 PM in response to chorky1

Over the last decade or so, Apple has released new versions every year.

These macOS upgrades can require you to update your apps.

Apple doesn’t target legacy hardware and legacy software compatibility and support to the same degree as does Microsoft. Developers and third-parties are expected to update their apps. If you want or need to run older stuff for longer, Microsoft can be a better choice. (There are folks unhappy about having to replace their Microsoft Office 2011 purchases with newer Office versions or alternatives, as that app and other apps using the now-deprecated 32-bit interfaces that were retired and removed with macOS Catalina 10.15. Apple had been warning about that deprecation for a while, though; since 10.13. That 64-bit migration started a over decade ago.)

Various third-party app vendors for macOS support the three most recent versions. Some support older.

M1 is clearly focused on entry-level and low-end configurations, with current M1 models differing largely in the numbers of ports available with more ports in the higher-range models, and in better cooling for better sustained performance in the case of the MacBook Pro. What comes next for Apple Silicon, we will learn.

Buying: There are no memory upgrades and no internal storage upgrades after purchase. For longest usage, order the 16 GB M1 configuration and not the 8 GB, order more storage than you think you’ll need over the next five years or so, and expect to be fine for five years and probably longer

Also expect to order a 4 to 6 terabyte hard disk drive for backup with Time Machine, or a NAS with Time Machine support if you have the budget for that.

You might expect to order a dock or dongles, depending on which I/O connections you need to make, if those connections are not wireless.

buy computer now with new software on the way in fall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.