Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update my mid-2012 Macbook Pro, or just buy a new one?

So, I've had my Macbook since 2015 and it's held up really well so far, apart from Safari acting a a bit slower. My main issue with it is that it is too heavy and this is one of the main reasons I am looking to buy a new model.

I've been trying to install Adobe Creative Suite onto my macbook, but it says I need to update my software (I have El Capitan). When I try to do this, it says I don't need any updates on the app store? But I have read on other posts that I can download macOS High Sierra through the apple website. I have a feeling that updating my computer to Sierra would be the last straw for my laptop. Should I bother updating, or just buy a new MacBook Pro now? Will a refurbished July 2018 MacBook Pro have the latest software to allow me to get Adobe Suite?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 7:56 AM

You can upgrade your Mac to Catalina if needed for Adobe Creative Suite. Check the specs for that, you may only need High Sierra.

Both are available from the AppStore, but they are upgrades not updates. That's why you are not finding them in Updates.

Use these links:

Get macOS High Sierra

Get macOS Catalina

It sounds like you really want a new Mac and I won't stop you but your Mac is certainly good enough enough for a few years yet.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 7:56 AM in response to iloveolly

You can upgrade your Mac to Catalina if needed for Adobe Creative Suite. Check the specs for that, you may only need High Sierra.

Both are available from the AppStore, but they are upgrades not updates. That's why you are not finding them in Updates.

Use these links:

Get macOS High Sierra

Get macOS Catalina

It sounds like you really want a new Mac and I won't stop you but your Mac is certainly good enough enough for a few years yet.

Apr 25, 2020 8:38 AM in response to iloveolly

I assume this is the non-Retina 13" model?

If so, and you need an internal optical drive, user-accessible RAM, and legacy ports in a notebook that is neither delicate nor expensive to repair, keep the 13" Mid 2012 in service. That model is still supported for parts and service† until Sept 2021 and, at least today, runs the latest version of OSX.

You can add up to 16GB RAM--at home. You can change the rotational hard drive for a fast solid state drive that will give a massive performance boost--at home. Apple still services the battery.

If you get a new MBP, expect to spend a fair bit of money on dongles, docks, and doo-hickies to keep your legacy peripherals in service.

Also, remember RAM is NOT upgradeable in any current MacBook Pro. If you go for "new," buy it with the RAM you will need in 2-3 years NOW because whatever you get will be your "forever RAM."

† — reference: Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Should I update my mid-2012 Macbook Pro, or just buy a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.