Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Date Last Opened gone or not updating (FIX)

I found the solution to fix the problem of the Date Last Opened not updating or disappearing. It's the .DS_Store file in the folder. It's either getting quarantined for some unknown reason, or file permissions get messed up (note this seems to happen to me in shared folders, can anyone else add to that or if it doesn't seem to matter for them). I haven't fully diagnosed the HOW? the .DS_Store file gets messed up, just that it does and deleting seems to fix the problem.

Anyway, I just drop into Terminal app and do an rm -f .DS_Store in the folder that's not updating and after a few minutes a new .DS_Store gets created by the OS indexing the folder again and POOF! the Date Last Opened dates reappear and start updating again. I mention the file sharing thing above because it seems that whenever I adjust file sharing (add a user, modify a share, etc.) the Date Last Opened issue arises and the .DS_Store files need deleting again...

This seems to have started around the 10.11-10.13 versions of macOS and persists to 11.4 (20F71) as of this writing.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 8:11 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Date Last Opened gone or not updating (FIX)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.