Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission again

I just got a PowerBook (mid-2012) with Catalina installed. It's my first experience with Catalina, and I'm having problems. What I want to do is simple, I think. The internal hard drive is named "tiny mac". I am the admin user. I want to have an alias for my Documents folder two places: in the dock, and directly under the hard drive (along with Applications, Library, etc. I can create the alias with no problem, but I can't copy it either place. When I Get Info for the drive I see that system has RW permissions, but admin read only. I am logged in as admin (it's the only account on the machine). When I try to change the permissions "I get the The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission" message.

I tried disabling csrutil from terminal. After an "operation successful" message I rebooted, but I still can't change admin to RW. Is this something Apple has made impossible? "csrutil disable" worked for me under earlier versions of OSX.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 5:48 AM

You cannot write to the macOS system volume which is now a separate read-only system APFS volume. There is no need to create anything on the root file system.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

If you want easy access to a particular folder, then just add that folder to the left pane of your Finder window. If the Finder has the left pane (aka Sidebar) enabled you should be able to just drag & drop the folder to the left pane of the Finder window. You should be able to toggle the left pane on/off with the Finder "View" menu.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2021 5:48 AM in response to Ozinor

You cannot write to the macOS system volume which is now a separate read-only system APFS volume. There is no need to create anything on the root file system.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

If you want easy access to a particular folder, then just add that folder to the left pane of your Finder window. If the Finder has the left pane (aka Sidebar) enabled you should be able to just drag & drop the folder to the left pane of the Finder window. You should be able to toggle the left pane on/off with the Finder "View" menu.

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.