Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.6 High Sierra Mac OS won't sync with iPhone running 14.6

macbook pro High Sierra 10.13.6 with iTunes won't synch with iPhone 8 plus iOS 14.6? Do not want to update the MacBook OS from High Sierra. Thanks

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 8:19 AM

Close iTunes, restart your MacBook Pro, force restart your phone and connect again to your Mac and open iTunes, this should trigger the message again, and you can download and install the driver update for iTunes.

And I finally found the article about it:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2021 8:19 AM in response to smalurw

Close iTunes, restart your MacBook Pro, force restart your phone and connect again to your Mac and open iTunes, this should trigger the message again, and you can download and install the driver update for iTunes.

And I finally found the article about it:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 5, 2021 10:15 PM in response to smalurw

Any error messages given, when you are trying to sync?

Is your device being charged. when connected to your USB Port?

Are you using the original USB cable, that came with the iPhone?

No Anti-Virus Software installed, or other 3rd party programs, that "optimize" your Mac?

Since El Capitan on my MacBook Pro can sync my iPhone running iOS 14.6, there should be no reason to update your macOS.

Jul 6, 2021 6:19 AM in response to Ingo2711

Yes using original USB cable from Apple. No anti virus software or any 3rd party programs on my mac. Th message I get is that I must download and install an update. Don't see the iPhone as a "device" in the top left hand corner of the iTunes - so could not choose manual synch.......altho the iPhone showed the bolt that looked like it was charging. Since my MacBook pro is late 2011 I do not want to update any software at this point and as you point out it should not be an issue in any case.

Jul 6, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Ingo2711

This is the message I got but was nervous to update the OS on my late 2011 MacBook Pro as I have the latest High Sierra and unable to support anything further on the hardware...and I have the latest versions of all SW...so not sure if it would end up downloading a new OS which would only screw everything up as it is unsupported by the HW.

But you are indicating that it is an update for iTunes device drivers only and would be compatible with macOS High Sierra as well as the iPhone 8 + with iOS 14.6. ...SO will try it out in a bit. Thanks.

Jul 9, 2021 4:26 PM in response to johanuskölle

Hi - thanks for checking in! I will let you know when I do it....I am teaching yoga dance classes in August and need everything functioning so don't want to mess with anything right now! I will do probably the last week of August after all my sessions! Fingers crossed! I do not want to buy a new machine until next year after the new macs have come out at the soonest. Open to any thoughts on that as well if you care to share. Thanks!

10.13.6 High Sierra Mac OS won't sync with iPhone running 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.