Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[SOLUTION] VoiceOver not turning on in iTunes (Windows)

Hey guys! I've seen people having trouble with VoiceOver on Windows and this thread is mainly to provide assistance with iPod shuffle users sharing the same issue.

When VoiceOver isn't turning on for your iPod, your computer probably lacks the necessary files for VoiceOver to turn on. This is probably the iPodVoiceOver.dll file. You'll have to download it through the link I have provided. (this is 100% vanilla and is extracted from my iTunes folder on a Windows 10 machine running the latest version of iTunes as of writing)

Download the file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TZvKVqQHYKsu2klPcFnH5OiXf0VNnX7g/view?usp=sharing

After having downloaded the file, you'll have to transfer it to iTunes. The directory of the iTunes folder is usually located here: C:\Program Files\iTunes.

After moving (or copying; works the same) the .dll file to iTunes, you'll need to restart iTunes then try turning on VoiceOver again. This time it should already work.

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 11:48 PM

Hi. This did work for me, which is great. As it turned out, my iPodVoiceOver.dll was located in c:\Program Files\iPod\bin. All I did was copy this to the c:\Program Files\iTunes folder and everything worked fine. Thanks for the steer. Much appreciated!

Similar questions

11 replies

Jul 24, 2021 11:47 AM in response to Andrew Sacriz

Hi there - hope you can help. I have told apple support that this file needs to be installed, but as I had no programming knowledge I wanted them to talk me through the process. They directed me to my local Apple store to resolve the issue. This is a bit of hassle for me and I have not yet got around to it.

Perhaps you can provide a detailed instruction of the process. I am in my 70’s and have limited computer knowledge. So I need you explain to me what happens when I download the link. Where does it goes and how do I move or copy it to the ITunes program. So very detailed steps please. Thanks and regards - Iain

Jul 28, 2021 3:28 AM in response to Duddingston

Sorry for not replying! Just download the file and transfer it to the iTunes Program Files Folder. Just try digging through your Windows Drive (Drive C).

Try pressing Windows Key + R then type C:\ProgramData\AppleComputer\iTunes then just drag the file there. I made a mistake in the original post. The iTunes folder is actually inside a hidden folder. (directory above) Just download the .dll and transfer it there.

Hope this helps.

[SOLUTION] VoiceOver not turning on in iTunes (Windows)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.