Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daughter having my old handset

Should I remove my iCloud before giving my daughter my own I phone 5s? I want to be able to track her on ‘find my iPhone’.

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 5:19 AM

The best course of action is:

1. Make sure that you no longer need any data on the iPhone 5S. They will be deleted in the next steps. This won't be an issue if you synch your iPhone through iCloud.
  2. Follow Chattanoogan's recommendation above to reset your iPhone 5S to factory settings (section "If you still have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch" in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support)
  3. Set up the 5S as a new phone (Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support) and make sure to enter your child's Apple ID when prompted.
  4. Review the Family Sharing settings for your child on your own iPhone to make sure that they are correct. In particular, make sure that her Apple ID is correct. If not, remove the wrong Apple ID (Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support) and add the correct Apple ID (Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support). You may also want to review some of the parental controls.

Then you should be able to locate your child's iPhone 5S: Locate Family members’ devices using the Find My app - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2021 5:19 AM in response to Karencatanddog

The best course of action is:

1. Make sure that you no longer need any data on the iPhone 5S. They will be deleted in the next steps. This won't be an issue if you synch your iPhone through iCloud.
  2. Follow Chattanoogan's recommendation above to reset your iPhone 5S to factory settings (section "If you still have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch" in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support)
  3. Set up the 5S as a new phone (Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support) and make sure to enter your child's Apple ID when prompted.
  4. Review the Family Sharing settings for your child on your own iPhone to make sure that they are correct. In particular, make sure that her Apple ID is correct. If not, remove the wrong Apple ID (Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support) and add the correct Apple ID (Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support). You may also want to review some of the parental controls.

Then you should be able to locate your child's iPhone 5S: Locate Family members’ devices using the Find My app - Apple Support

Daughter having my old handset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.