Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change which device is used for 2FA?

I'm getting rid of an older computer and using the same ID (needed to use the same ID because it's a work ID). When I run an update I get 2FAed on the old device that I'm about to ship off as soon as I figure this out. How do I get 2fa prompting to start happening on my new device?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 12:21 PM

Once you sign into System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina or later) that should make the new computer a trusted device. It should then display the code. From the article below.

A trusted device is an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9 or later, or Mac with OS X El Capitan or later that you've already signed in to using two-factor authentication. It’s a device we know is yours and that can be used to verify your identity by displaying a verification code from Apple when you sign in on a different device or browser. 

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication         

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2021 12:21 PM in response to jordie224

Once you sign into System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina or later) that should make the new computer a trusted device. It should then display the code. From the article below.

A trusted device is an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9 or later, or Mac with OS X El Capitan or later that you've already signed in to using two-factor authentication. It’s a device we know is yours and that can be used to verify your identity by displaying a verification code from Apple when you sign in on a different device or browser. 

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication         

How do I change which device is used for 2FA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.