Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I need if I want to use my IMac as a monitor with my MacBook Air

I want to use my iMac as a monitor with my MacBook Air.

what do I need?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 8:18 AM

Hello, sehrish212.

Here are the rules for the (now discontinued) Target Display mode on iMac:

click> Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Target display mode was a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

Only the following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.
  • The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier; it does not work with macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, or with Boot Camp and Windows.
  • Retina display iMacs won’t work as target displays.

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2021 8:18 AM in response to sehrish212

Hello, sehrish212.

Here are the rules for the (now discontinued) Target Display mode on iMac:

click> Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Target display mode was a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

Only the following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.
  • The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier; it does not work with macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, or with Boot Camp and Windows.
  • Retina display iMacs won’t work as target displays.

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

What do I need if I want to use my IMac as a monitor with my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.