Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie sharing

I made a movie from my own camera shots. Edited it all together in iMovie. I try to export to file so I can share it and I get the fail message: file can't be saved because you don't have permission.

How do I get permission to save my own movie?

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 9:25 AM

Permission issues can be a pain. Sometimes with updates and upgrades permissions can get messed.

Try going to your iMovie app icon in the Applications folder and control-click on its icon and click on Get Info. Confirm that you have Read and Write permission. If you are saving to an external drive, do the same procedure for its icon, and for internal drive as well. Also, at the bottom of the Get Info box for an external drive, click on "ignore ownership on this volume". See if any of the above cures the issue.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 9:25 AM in response to ephorn

Permission issues can be a pain. Sometimes with updates and upgrades permissions can get messed.

Try going to your iMovie app icon in the Applications folder and control-click on its icon and click on Get Info. Confirm that you have Read and Write permission. If you are saving to an external drive, do the same procedure for its icon, and for internal drive as well. Also, at the bottom of the Get Info box for an external drive, click on "ignore ownership on this volume". See if any of the above cures the issue.

-- Rich

imovie sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.