Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iPhone asking for passcode after factory reset / Erase all data?

I sent my old unlocked iphone 6 to someone I hold dear. She attempted to put in a SIM card. The darn phone is doing the usual dance of Hello in various languages (frustrating) and then nevertheless asking for the passcode! What can be done now? That old passcode is over 3 years ago and obviously I don't remember it. Also why would this device ask for one when I already did a factory reset and erased all data. I even went online to check devices I have listed under my Apple ID and don't have this iPhone listed.

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 4:52 AM

4 replies

Jul 8, 2021 5:03 AM in response to appleisbadwithchildcontrols

the activation lock is not really on

the ipad it's a theft protection measure on apples servers

it needs to be removed

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

if you don't know your appleID

Recover Your Apple ID - Apple

if that does not help you then you

need the assistance of apple

Additional Support - Activation Lock (apple.com) and or

Get Support (apple.com) , Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jul 10, 2021 1:20 PM in response to Rudegar

The phone in question was reset. Completely. It belonged to me and was linked to my "My Devices" tab. Currently however, it does NOT appear in "My Devices" at all, I verified via my current (new) iPhone as well as logging into iCloud.

What I fail to understand is if I have successfully executed a factory reset and erased all data why does this phone upon reboot ask me for a passcode? This is simply put ridiculous.

Unsure of what you mean by activation code, since I do not understand what is this code and why would the phone demand if after being factory reset.

Jul 10, 2021 9:19 PM in response to Rudegar

I don't get this! In other forums folks actually provide suggestions and out-of-the-box or standard approaches. Here all I get are a bunch of links which was all done. Let's see the latest - a dummy's guide on what to do before giving away the phone. Obviously, I did that!! In fact my original post actually mentions all of that. However, for some reason the passcode is still being asked. Really - are there any real suggestions on what can be done NOW? Rather than what might have been done before!!

Why is iPhone asking for passcode after factory reset / Erase all data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.