Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air2 Color Banding, Posterization

Yesterday my iPad display began to have color banding, posterization issues. The images and videos in safari would appear dark and grainy. On some websites I can see a thumbnail change from “normal” to “dark/grainy” once the webpage loads. This issue extends to the camera. Photos taken appear dark and grainy in well illuminated rooms. When I select the photos for deletion, the thumbnail changes from “dark/grainy” to “normal” which surprised me. I have tried rebooting the iPad (power+home). I have tried diagnostic mode (volume up+home). I have tried dropping the iPad on carpet at 2 foot height. I have toggled a number of display settings, auto-brightness, reduce white spot, increase contrast, reduce transparency, reduce motion, etc., which has optimized my iPad processing speed but has not fixed the color banding, posterization underlying issue. I installed a benchmark app from the app store, compared my iPad test results with a youtuber test results, my iPad test results were off by hundreds; I read that is a processor issue, hence why I tried the iPad optimization approach. When I toggle auto-brightness the screen dims to a near display turn-off state, so I manually increase the brightness. Is there anything I can do to resolve this color banding, posterization issue?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 9:01 AM

If you're sure that in Settings>Accessibility>Display & Text Size ALL options are OFF but the issue persists, contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Get Support , or make an appointment and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector

After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 9:01 AM in response to justinminges

If you're sure that in Settings>Accessibility>Display & Text Size ALL options are OFF but the issue persists, contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Get Support , or make an appointment and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector

After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

Jul 15, 2021 11:48 AM in response to justinminges

I began to have a burn-in issue, which I expected with this high contrast color banding issue, I read the fix was to shut off the iPad for 3-5 days to “allow the phosphors to cool.” I shut the iPad off for 5 days and the burn-in issue was resolved, but I still have color banding, posterization issues. I may cross off shutting the iPad off for 3-5 days as a possible solution.

iPad Air2 Color Banding, Posterization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.