Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch paired to iPhone with no Cell plan

I currently have an apple watch setup for my daughter. It's on our cellular plan and everything is working fine. I want to setup the watch so the phone is paired with her iPhone (iPhone no Cell phone service) and is able to still use the cell service on her watch. This way she can manage the software and settings from her phone for her watch. Has anyone tried this yet and able to get it working? I have tried setting up the Apple watch using her phone and it all goes well but then the cellular service doesn't work. I can't make or receive calls from the watch.

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 5:55 PM

The Cellular + GPS Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and the carriers that support the Apple Watch charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month. Here is a list of carriers that support the Apple Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

So if the Apple Watch is paired to her own iPhone, but that iPhone does not have a cellular plan, then there is no way to extend that plan to the Apple Watch.

Her current plan is via your iPhone and the Apple Watch Family Plan.

There is no plan that gives the Apple Watch an independent cellular plan without an iPhone being involved.

At best she can pair the Apple Watch with her iPhone and Not be able to make or receive phone calls nor SMS/MMS messages, until you get a cellular plan for the iPhone.

NOTE: if you check the list of supported cellular carriers, and/or multiple iPhone plans for your existing carrier, maybe there is an option that gives her iPhone 6s or newer iPhone a cellular plan that is close to the cost you are currently paying for the Apple Watch Family Plan.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 5:55 PM in response to Maxseamus

The Cellular + GPS Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and the carriers that support the Apple Watch charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month. Here is a list of carriers that support the Apple Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

So if the Apple Watch is paired to her own iPhone, but that iPhone does not have a cellular plan, then there is no way to extend that plan to the Apple Watch.

Her current plan is via your iPhone and the Apple Watch Family Plan.

There is no plan that gives the Apple Watch an independent cellular plan without an iPhone being involved.

At best she can pair the Apple Watch with her iPhone and Not be able to make or receive phone calls nor SMS/MMS messages, until you get a cellular plan for the iPhone.

NOTE: if you check the list of supported cellular carriers, and/or multiple iPhone plans for your existing carrier, maybe there is an option that gives her iPhone 6s or newer iPhone a cellular plan that is close to the cost you are currently paying for the Apple Watch Family Plan.

Apple Watch paired to iPhone with no Cell plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.