Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages and numbers apps not responding--can't open documents

i was using both apps this morning, but just now, about 6 hours later none of my documents open, and the apps bring up a message "not responding"--i'm mac os catalina 10.15.7--system says my software is up to date--i downloaded a document from my cloud but it won't open either

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 6:28 PM

This article gives some great tips: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-an-app-freezes-or-quits-unexpectedly-mchlp2579/10.15/mac/10.15

I always start with the first tip suggested: Go to the Apple menu, click on Force Quit, select the app in the dialog that appears, then click Force Quit. Like the article says, you may lose any unsaved changes.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 6:28 PM in response to foljamb

This article gives some great tips: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-an-app-freezes-or-quits-unexpectedly-mchlp2579/10.15/mac/10.15

I always start with the first tip suggested: Go to the Apple menu, click on Force Quit, select the app in the dialog that appears, then click Force Quit. Like the article says, you may lose any unsaved changes.

Jul 9, 2021 2:29 PM in response to MamasaurusRex

actually, the issue turns out to have been some temporary stall of pages--i don't pretend to understand it, but here's what happened: abruptly my documents wouldn't open and eventually i'd force-quit and there'd be the message "pages not responding"--the alias icon was in the side bar, but in fact the app was no longer in my app folder--after a few tries of this i went to the cloud and figured out how to copy and send a document to my desktop, but it wouldn't open--back at cloud i suddenly got a message something like "document not available at this time, try again later"--i tried again this morning, all my documents open (tho pages is a bit slow)

Jul 13, 2021 9:59 AM in response to foljamb

Pages--everything suddenly shows in a blurred gray--which I read means that I won't be able to open them. I have created hundreds of documents--written two books, which thankfully I saved as Word documents for sharing with the publisher. Been a Mac user (and therefore Pages) for only about three years. Seems new enough work to be able to find, open, read, edit, save as, share--in short, do anything it might occur to me to do. BUT NO. I see exactly three documents--created at widely-spaced times--that I can open. Have presentations on Keynote. They open, WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH PAGES. And don't send me anywhere--I'm technologically impaired, can only do word processing sorts of things and don't want to have to develop any new skill sets! I want PAGES to work as it is supposed to work.

pages and numbers apps not responding--can't open documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.