Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro for digital design work. Yes or no?

I’ve recent purchased a MacBook Pro for my new business and a big part of this is digital design in fashion. The more I look at similar businesses and artists that inspire me, they’re using procreate on iPad & I’m wondering if it’s worth me also purchasing an iPad for my work, or should I stick to my MacBook and Affinity Designer?

And if an iPad is recommended then would 11 inch or 12.9 be best for digital design work at home?

Im just starting out the business and don’t want to spend too much money, but I also don’t want to be held back on creating work easily, if an iPad would really help, instead of pencil to paper and then editing on my MacBook.

Many thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 1:24 AM

If you already have a MacBook, the iPad will provide additional and complimentary functionality. Both your MacBook and an iPad can be used independently - or if supported by by Mac, with Sidecar:

Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar – Apple Support

You will find that many Apps are also available for both platforms - some at no additional cost. You would benefit from being able to use the iPad for both its strengths - and as a graphics tablet for the Mac.

When considering screen size, for working with graphics, most users would suggest that larger screens are always preferable.

In summary, in combination, Mac and iPad are a powerful pairing. The best advice is to understand exactly what your wish to achieve - and then consider your available budget. If using iPad for graphics, consider that you’ll likely need an iPad with the higher tiers of internal storage - and these, combined with the largest screen sizes, come at the greatest cost.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 1:24 AM in response to Harrison_22

If you already have a MacBook, the iPad will provide additional and complimentary functionality. Both your MacBook and an iPad can be used independently - or if supported by by Mac, with Sidecar:

Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar – Apple Support

You will find that many Apps are also available for both platforms - some at no additional cost. You would benefit from being able to use the iPad for both its strengths - and as a graphics tablet for the Mac.

When considering screen size, for working with graphics, most users would suggest that larger screens are always preferable.

In summary, in combination, Mac and iPad are a powerful pairing. The best advice is to understand exactly what your wish to achieve - and then consider your available budget. If using iPad for graphics, consider that you’ll likely need an iPad with the higher tiers of internal storage - and these, combined with the largest screen sizes, come at the greatest cost.

iPad Pro for digital design work. Yes or no?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.