Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio comes with a delay when AirPods are connected to the Mac (AirPods + Safari)

The problem occurs when I play a video using the Safari web browser. When I switch back and forth mac built-in output and AirPods. The audio from the video comes with a delay of about 1.5-2 sec. I can reopen the web browser and without switching the output method the audio starts instantly (how it is supposed to be) but as soon I switch the output it starts playing with a delay again and never become normal until I restart it once again.

Could somebody advise on that, please?

p.s. everything else works fine (eg. Spotify, Apple music, google chrome ... )

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 5:02 AM

Go step by step and test.

1. Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, 

and recent kernel panic information. 

The settings stored in NVRAM  depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

2. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans,

and other features.

3. Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 5:02 AM in response to 5n0wh34d

Go step by step and test.

1. Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, 

and recent kernel panic information. 

The settings stored in NVRAM  depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

2. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans,

and other features.

3. Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Jul 9, 2021 2:54 PM in response to dominic23

Thank you for the reply. But so far neither works.

1. I did that before and once you mentioned it. The issue persists.
  2. Same here. The issue persists even after the reset.
  3. When I logged in in the safe mode there is no built-in output option at all. Air pods only. There is no chance to test it because the issue appears only after the output option is switched.

As suggested on the "safe mode" support page: "if neither works reinstall the system" which I'll do tomorrow.

Any other suggestions?

Audio comes with a delay when AirPods are connected to the Mac (AirPods + Safari)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.