Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot from Cell Phone

Good morning.

I have an iphone12, and AT&T internet (wireless box that we use in the house), with a cell plan that provides hotspot (from the cell). When on my MAC desktop, I typically use my Ethernet connection to access the internet. Sometimes I use hotspot so as to not exceed our data limit.

The box usually works great, as does our Wi-Fi, Ethernet connections, and hotspots... but service has gone out for long periods (no real explanation on that. Ever. AT&T is a nightmare.). The key thing is, I usually can use my cell phone as a hotspot to use internet during these outages- I plug the phone in via usb, select to use my personal hotspot, and select to turn on Wi-Fi from the cellphone settings (vs usb). If i looked at the Wi-Fi settings on my *phone* it appears one of our regular Wi-Fi networks is connected - this always seems to be the case.

On the *desktop* I select Wi-Fi in the MAC desktop’s network settings, make Ethernet inactive, and I make sure the Wi-fi network says my cellphone (which it always lands on no problem when using hotspot).

THIS time, however, this isn’t working. Thinking - as a NON tech, layperson - that perhaps my phone Wi-Fi settings needs to NOT read that it is connected to a normal Wi-Fi network in the house (which isn’t working because the wireless box isn’t), I tried selecting “use USB ONLY” from the iPhone settings when turning on my hotspot. This does not work either (on the MAC I have tried this with both the Wi-Fi enabled and trying to choose my phone as the network, Ethernet disabled, OR with Wi-Fi off and just trying to use the usb connection).

While this may be an overall AT&T failure, I’ve still always been able to use the iPhone hotspot to access the internet from the desktop. I do NOT know if something has been different under the iPhone Wi-Fi settings in the past when doing this, only that when everything is working, it shows a regular house Wi-Fi network.

If anyone has ANY clue as to why my hotspot might not be working, I’d be grateful to try something I haven’t. This is a huge problem, and I’m not sure what else to look at. Again, I am not ultra tech savvy, so layperson terms help! Hotspot has always worked regardless and I think my husband’s IS working (he has a PC, by the same phone).

Super frustrated.

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 5:27 AM

There is no additional setting required on an iPhone for Hotspot.

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

The Hotspot is a carrier-specific feature. Contact your carrier, if it is not appearing on your device.

Also, check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 5:27 AM in response to PLMFB

There is no additional setting required on an iPhone for Hotspot.

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

The Hotspot is a carrier-specific feature. Contact your carrier, if it is not appearing on your device.

Also, check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Jul 9, 2021 5:44 AM in response to SravanKrA

I appreciate the suggestions. A bit concerned to reset settings as I’d then probably have to set something back up. The iPhone 12 has been nothing but a pain. Grateful, but really frustrating, and I want to mess with it as little as possible. Nothing is different in terms of what I’m doing, which is why this is so confusing. I don’t understand why it works for a PC, but not for my MAC.

Hotspot from Cell Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.