Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps saying app needs to be updated after I pick "keep"

For several old apps on my phone, the new iOS has been bugging me that they need to be updated and asking me to keep or delete them, even though I have already picked "keep". I don't need the data in there or anything; I just want to keep them and for it to stop asking me the same question. Is there a way to get it to chill?

It's an old iPhone SE running iOS 14.6.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 9:33 AM

I am not experiencing any difficulty with apps, third-party or otherwise. My difficulty is that the OS keeps asking me whether I want to keep or delete apps after I have already said I want to keep them.

19 replies

Dec 4, 2021 8:42 PM in response to m.c.d.

I’ve found the solution to turn off this alert forever.

On iOS 13 or older:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Scroll down, find, and go to iTunes and App Store
  3. TURN OFF Automatic Downloads for ALL items
  4. Click on Apple ID account
  5. Select View Apple ID
  6. Scroll down, click Remove This Device button (if any) to disassociate this device with your Apple

On iOS 14 or later:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Scroll down, find and select App Store
  3. TURN OFF Automatic Downloads for Apps, and App Updates, and also on Cellular Data section
  4. Go back to Settings
  5. Scroll to top, click on your Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases (your name)
  6. Go to Media & Purchases, select View Account
  7. Scroll down, click Remove This Device button (if any) to disassociate this device with your Apple ID

Sep 21, 2021 8:08 AM in response to m.c.d.

I have the same problem. It happens numerous times per day since 9/15 when I tried to download these and many other apps. I’ve looked for these apps all over with in my iPad and can’t find them and also can’t find them in the app store either. I’ll attach Screen shots. I’ve tried hitting both keep and delete and neither stops it from reappearing

Sep 12, 2021 6:56 AM in response to SravanKrA

This is neither the issue nor helpful. The issue is apple’s software asking me if I want to keep the apps multiple times a day. Yes, I do! And iOS needs to ask it once and stop asking or have a way to turn the prompt off. Updates & programming of the iOS like this is why I don’t want another iPhone next time I get a new phone.

Sep 12, 2021 7:06 AM in response to m.c.d.

It would be better if you can please re-post with a screenshot, in order to understand the phenomenon better. Images/pictures speak louder than words. 

Please understand this is a public forum: While attaching a Screenshot, do not provide any personal credentials, such as Card detail, email id, apple id, IMEI number, Serial Number, Phone number, Order ID, if you are sharing a map ensure your location is not identifiable, etc.

Sep 12, 2021 7:06 AM in response to SravanKrA

It would be better if you can please re-post with a screenshot, in order to understand the phenomenon better. Images/pictures speak louder than words. 

Please understand this is a public forum: While attaching a Screenshot, do not provide any personal credentials, such as Card detail, email id, apple id, IMEI number, Serial Number, Phone number, Order ID, if you are sharing a map ensure your location is not identifiable, etc.

Sep 12, 2021 7:06 AM in response to wlgriffiths

Sep 12, 2021 7:06 AM in response to Miax27x

Sep 12, 2021 10:45 AM in response to SravanKrA

How is a screenshot of a standard UI prompt going to help any? If you don't know what this prompt looks like, you are unlikely to be able to help. There is nothing amiss with its appearance, nor is there any indication on the prompt that it has come up four times (for the four apps I'm trying to keep) every day or two ever since my initial post.

Oct 21, 2021 8:37 AM in response to m.c.d.

I figured out something that worked for me. I opened the App Store and logged out and logged back in and the error messages have not shown up again. It did show the wrong email in my App Store login so that might have been a contributor as well. It had the email i was using as my apple id up til about 5-6 months ago. So it looks like it was connecting to my apple id ok even though it was using the old email but still giving me issues. the problem hasn’t happened since.

iPhone keeps saying app needs to be updated after I pick "keep"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.