Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound device not found. Rebooting or resetting NVRAM did not work

My device: MacBook Air 13 inch, 2015

1.6 GHz Dual core Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I tried NVRAM reset. People tried this method say that start up screen shows up a few times while they pressed option+command+P+R for about 20 seconds.

Is contacting Apple Support the only solution at this stage?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 6:11 PM

Hi,

Do you regularly use cord headphones? If the answer is YES sometimes one part of the mechanism that switches sound output gets stuck and the speakers stop working. Try to connect/disconnect several times the headphones 3.5mm jack so the mechanism gets unstucked and all goes back to normal.

I have seen a lot of pre-2018 MBA with this problem. If it's not a headphone related issue you need to take your Air to Apple or an AASP so they can run some test and verify some components like I/O Board, Speakers or even the Main Logic Board.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 6:11 PM in response to bakase1998

Hi,

Do you regularly use cord headphones? If the answer is YES sometimes one part of the mechanism that switches sound output gets stuck and the speakers stop working. Try to connect/disconnect several times the headphones 3.5mm jack so the mechanism gets unstucked and all goes back to normal.

I have seen a lot of pre-2018 MBA with this problem. If it's not a headphone related issue you need to take your Air to Apple or an AASP so they can run some test and verify some components like I/O Board, Speakers or even the Main Logic Board.

Sound device not found. Rebooting or resetting NVRAM did not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.