Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

THUNDERBOLT port not working on Macboo pro 2017

After using an external hard drive on my Mac the thunderbolt port no longer responds to. What can I do? Do I have to eject the external hard drive properly? I have tried restarting the Mac, but still no luck.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 11:37 PM

Problemforbeginner Said:

"THUNDERBOLT port not working on Macboo pro 2017: After using an external hard drive on my Mac the thunderbolt port no longer responds to. What can I do? Do I have to eject the external hard drive properly? I have tried restarting the Mac, but still no luck."

-------

It may be a misconfiguration of sorts. So try the following:

I. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for media) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. See where it goes from there.

II. Try Using a New Administrator User:

See what happens when you create a new Administrator User and login to it and perform the above. If it works, then it is something misconfigured in your current user.

III. Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 11:37 PM in response to Problemforbeginner

Problemforbeginner Said:

"THUNDERBOLT port not working on Macboo pro 2017: After using an external hard drive on my Mac the thunderbolt port no longer responds to. What can I do? Do I have to eject the external hard drive properly? I have tried restarting the Mac, but still no luck."

-------

It may be a misconfiguration of sorts. So try the following:

I. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for media) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. See where it goes from there.

II. Try Using a New Administrator User:

See what happens when you create a new Administrator User and login to it and perform the above. If it works, then it is something misconfigured in your current user.

III. Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

THUNDERBOLT port not working on Macboo pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.