Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not reset my password

In recovery mode can not see "Forgot all passwords" option. It only gives me Erase Mac option. I bought and set my Mac up only yesterday. Don't know what to do next. To be honest spend a lot of time to set it up and don't want to erase it all. What can I do ? I have Macbook air on M1

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 4:32 AM

9 replies

Jul 10, 2021 4:37 AM in response to khasan_

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Jul 10, 2021 5:27 AM in response to PRP_53

Updated !

Thank you for the help

But unfortunately it didn't work. I don't have recovery key and I am pretty sure it never asked me to create one when I accepted to use FileVault.

Therefore I don't have “reset it using your recovery key" option on my Mac.

Upd: also I have my Mac system in English but my region is Russia. And I set up a password in Russian but it gives me only 1 try to enter password in Russian. And after that it allows me only to enter password in English. Could that be the reason maybe

Can not reset my password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.