Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to bypass password in recovery mode to reinstall what is needed

I turned on my MacBook pro and get a blinking ? In the middle of a file so I follow the steps to recovery startup but the next screen has a padlock in the middle of screen where a password has to go but I don't know the password so how can I get pass the password so I can reinstall what needs to be installed again?

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 9:20 AM

If you don't know the password for the firmware lock, then you will need to take the Mac to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with the valid proof of purchase and ID so they can remove the firmware lock. If this is a used Mac that was not purchased direct from Apple or an authorized reseller, then you will unlikely have the necessary proof of purchase needed.

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 9:20 AM in response to Brainfeeder10jx

If you don't know the password for the firmware lock, then you will need to take the Mac to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with the valid proof of purchase and ID so they can remove the firmware lock. If this is a used Mac that was not purchased direct from Apple or an authorized reseller, then you will unlikely have the necessary proof of purchase needed.

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

Need to bypass password in recovery mode to reinstall what is needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.