Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air wont log on even after changing password

my macbook air will not accept my password. i followed the instructions (power off and hold cmnd + R at startup) to get to the recovery tool, changed the password, and still will not log in. very much appreciate the help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 7:35 AM

Reset your Mac login password and if FileVault is enabled >> Reset your login password using a recovery key

If you turned on FileVault encryption and created a recovery key, you can use the recovery key to reset your login password.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Restart, or press the Power button on your computer and then click Restart.
  2. Click your user account, click the question mark in the password field, then click the arrow  next to “reset it using your recovery key.”
  3. Enter the recovery key, then click Next.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 7:35 AM in response to jona263

Reset your Mac login password and if FileVault is enabled >> Reset your login password using a recovery key

If you turned on FileVault encryption and created a recovery key, you can use the recovery key to reset your login password.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Restart, or press the Power button on your computer and then click Restart.
  2. Click your user account, click the question mark in the password field, then click the arrow  next to “reset it using your recovery key.”
  3. Enter the recovery key, then click Next.

macbook air wont log on even after changing password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.