Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete partition on USB drive

I have a 16GB drive earlier I used for windows bootable drive. Now I want to use it as a normal drive.

In terminal, when I used diskutil list command I get the following

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):

#:            TYPE NAME          SIZE    IDENTIFIER

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *15.7 GB  disk3

1:    Microsoft Basic Data ⁨CARDISK           15.7 GB  disk3s1

How can I remove the Microsoft Basic Data from diskutil or any other MAC tool?

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 10:03 AM

Launch Disk Utility. If you are using macOS 10.13+, then you need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. If using macOS 10.11+, now erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) if the drive is only to be used with macOS, otherwise use exFAT file system if you need to share the drive with Windows.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 10:03 AM in response to ramprasadv

Launch Disk Utility. If you are using macOS 10.13+, then you need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. If using macOS 10.11+, now erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) if the drive is only to be used with macOS, otherwise use exFAT file system if you need to share the drive with Windows.

Jul 10, 2021 10:05 AM in response to ramprasadv

ramprasadv wrote:

I have a 16GB drive earlier I used for windows bootable drive. Now I want to use it as a normal drive.
In terminal, when I used diskutil list command I get the following
/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
  #:            TYPE NAME          SIZE    IDENTIFIER
  0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *15.7 GB  disk3
  1:    Microsoft Basic Data ⁨CARDISK           15.7 GB  disk3s1

How can I remove the Microsoft Basic Data from diskutil or any other MAC tool?

?

To get a better picture of what you have, paste the entire output from Terminal:

diskutil list internal

If this is an external USBdrive—

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/20.0/mac/11.0

Delete partition on USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.