Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keeps disconnecting when using imessage

I use voice messages in imessage a lot, and since switching to the iphone 12 I have had an issue where I can only listen to one message through my bluetooth headphones and the next messages will be played out of the phone speakers. I have tested this in multiple sets of headphones. If I switch to another app that uses bluetooth (like Spotify) it works fine, but as soon as I try to play a voice message it will play through the phone speakers. The only 'fix' I have found is to turn bluetooth off and back on (or turn the headphones off and back on) but I have to do this for each voice message which gets very annoying.

Other fixes I have tried (none of these worked):

• forgetting the bluetooth headphones and repairing them
  • restarting the phone
  • resetting network settings
  • turning off raise to listen
  • turning off Phone Noise Cancellation in accessibility settings

I have read about other bluetooth issues related to ios 14.6 so I assume this is the same.

Is anyone else having this issue?

iPhone 12

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 7:06 AM

I don’t have airpods. I have tried this with several different brands of third-party headphones and still have the same issue. I never had this problem on my iphone 7 (which was also running ios 14.6)

I am able to listen to one voice message at a time through all of the headphones I have tried, so I don’t think it’s a compatibility issue.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2021 7:06 AM in response to SravanKrA

I don’t have airpods. I have tried this with several different brands of third-party headphones and still have the same issue. I never had this problem on my iphone 7 (which was also running ios 14.6)

I am able to listen to one voice message at a time through all of the headphones I have tried, so I don’t think it’s a compatibility issue.

Aug 23, 2021 1:19 PM in response to mikkiw1019

YES!! Same issue here!! I’ve used the same earbuds for almost a year without any connection issues until the last couple months all of a sudden it will only play the first message over Bluetooth then all messages after over the phone speaker while earbuds are still connected. It’s super annoying especially for business privacy practices!

Bluetooth keeps disconnecting when using imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.