Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading Xcode not working

Hi there,

I tried downloading the xcode app on my macbook pro and it is already up to date with OS but when i try installing the app it says "Xcode can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 11 or later is required." Any solutions for this?

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 6:39 AM

sudipta116 wrote:

Hi there,
I tried downloading the xcode app on my macbook pro and it is already up to date with OS but when i try installing the app it says "Xcode can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 11 or later is required." Any solutions for this?

Xcode older versions—

https://developer.apple.com/download/all/

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2021 6:39 AM in response to sudipta116

sudipta116 wrote:

Hi there,

Xcode older versions—

https://developer.apple.com/download/all/

Jul 11, 2021 6:55 AM in response to sudipta116

Your Mac might be on the last version it can run, or your Mac might have an upgrade available, but—if Xcode is telling you it needs macOS 11 and you don’t have macOS 11—you’re not running current macOS.

Apple differentiates updates from upgrades. Updates are smaller and are not intended to be disruptive to apps, while upgrades are larger and can be and are intended to be more disruptive to apps. Checking for updates doesn’t check for and doesn’t get you upgrades.

Which Mac are you using? See the 🍎 > About This Mac menu item, and post the Mac model and year, and somebody here can tell you about the available upgrades. And whether your Mac can run macOS 11. If not, then the link to previous versions of Xcode is your path, as was mentioned in the previous reply. That, or a replacement Mac that can run current Xcode.

And for completeness, App Store submissions require current Xcode.

Downloading Xcode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.