Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think my battery might be swelling. How can I be sure?

My 2018 MacBook pro doesn't seem to sit flat on a level surface and it doesn't seem to close completely. Are those indications my battery is swelling? I performed a diagnostic on the laptop and it found no issues as far as function goes.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 11:49 AM

Hello theyud,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with your device. We recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

Cheers.

5 replies

Jul 11, 2021 5:25 PM in response to theyud

theyud Said:

"I think my battery might be swelling. How can I be sure?: My 2018 MacBook pro doesn't seem to sit flat on a level surface and it doesn't seem to close completely. Are those indications my battery is swelling? I performed a diagnostic on the laptop and it found no issues as far as function goes."

-------

Please provide a photo.

By your description, yes it seem that it is swelling, perhaps by water degrading the battery. So, I recommend getting this looked at by Apple or an AASP. If you provide a photo, be certain to block out personal information, such as Serial Number.

Jul 11, 2021 5:27 PM in response to theyud

Unless something happened to this notebook (dropped, something heavy placed on it, etc.,) those are pretty good indications that there may be something amiss with your notebook's battery. I suggest that you stop using your notebook immediately and be sure to power it off. Then make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and provide you with your options. Further use of this notebook, with a suspected swollen battery, could not only lead to further damage, but a potential for the battery to burst/explode, etc. This is one of those cases, where it is better to be "safe than sorry."

I think my battery might be swelling. How can I be sure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.