Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it possible to define a default device to locate people?

Within our family, we are sharing our position and we have several Apple devices: iPhones, Macs, Watches, iPads... When I open the "Find My" app to see where my wife is, it is showing where her iPad is (usually at home) instead of showing where she actually is, i.e. with her iPhone and Apple Watch. So, to know where she is, I need to look at where her iPhone or Watch is, not where the Find My app thinks she is. Moreover, if you use the "Find My" app on Apple Watch, it only shows "people", not "devices". This means that it will show a wrong location.

Is there a way to choose a "default" device for people in the "Find My" app?

Thanks.

Jonathan

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 7:14 AM

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you have multiple devices that are sharing location and would like to set a specific device when sharing location with friends and family members. We’d be happy to help.

Take a look at Find friends and share your location with Find My, specifically the section under “Change your sharing device.”

"To change the device that you're sharing your location from, open Find My on that device. Select the Me tab, then choose Use this [device] as My Location."

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2021 7:14 AM in response to JohnDeeBee

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you have multiple devices that are sharing location and would like to set a specific device when sharing location with friends and family members. We’d be happy to help.

Take a look at Find friends and share your location with Find My, specifically the section under “Change your sharing device.”

"To change the device that you're sharing your location from, open Find My on that device. Select the Me tab, then choose Use this [device] as My Location."

Take care.

is it possible to define a default device to locate people?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.