Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My uses wrong device for People

My wife has one iPad and one iPhone. We are in the same family group and we have the location sharing setup so that I can see my wife's location in Find My > People, from my iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Now I suddenly find that my wife's location in Find My > People has always been at home even when she is out. I guess this is because her iPad's location is used as her location now.

It works if I use Find My > Devices to see the location of my wife's iPhone when she is out. I think this can exclude any suspicions about permissions.

This is a little inconvenient in daily life.

Is there a way to tell Find My to use my wife's iPhone to decide her location in Find My > People?

(I recently switched my iPhone to 14 pro, not sure if this issue started before or after that)

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 7:17 AM

Hey there axl411, 

Following Share your location with your family should help you guys get things up and running.

Choose which device to share your location from

You can share your location from a different device. For example, if you share your location from an iPad, you can share your location from an iPhone that you own instead.
1. On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
2. Tap your name.
3. Tap Family Sharing, then tap Location Sharing.
4. Tap Use this [device] as My Location.

Have a good one!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2022 7:17 AM in response to axl411

Hey there axl411, 

Following Share your location with your family should help you guys get things up and running.

Choose which device to share your location from

You can share your location from a different device. For example, if you share your location from an iPad, you can share your location from an iPhone that you own instead.
1. On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
2. Tap your name.
3. Tap Family Sharing, then tap Location Sharing.
4. Tap Use this [device] as My Location.

Have a good one!

Find My uses wrong device for People

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.