Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Newsroom Update

Apple and Major League Baseball announce July “Friday Night Baseball” schedule. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set default speakers for apple tv 4k

I have a SONOS arc soundbar and a Samsung TV with the One Connect Box. The SONOS setup was easy but the Apple TV 4k keeps defaulting to "TV Speakers" as the default for sound. I have to manually, swipe down on the trackpad and select "Living Room SONOS" (which is what my SONOS arc, and sub are called). In the settings on the Apple TV 4k there is not option to set the SONOS speakers as default. Worse yet, this has to be done EVERY time a new TV show starts on my Apple TV. 20 minute show, reset, 20 mintue show, reset, etc, etc. It's incredibly annoying. Any fix on the horizon??

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 12:30 PM

I just picked up an HD Fury Arcana which allows for the ATMOS signal from the 4K Apple TV to go direct to the SONOS Soundbar and it splits out the video separately to my NON eArc TV. Will test it out this week.

6 replies

Jul 12, 2021 11:32 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your reply. So does this mean I am getting the same quality of signal, or better through the "TV Speakers"? I had thought (it seems incorrectly) that I was not getting the best sound through the default setting. No if only SONOS hadn't cheaped out and put more than one HDMI so I could get ATMOS..... Thanks again for your response.

Jul 16, 2021 6:40 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I m also having similar setup wherein my Apple tv 4k (2021) is connected via HDMI to my av receiver which in turn is connected to wired speakers. Default connection is shown as TV speakers but looks like it changes sometimes to Receiver speaker automatically while playing contents. U can check that by a drop down menu while playing the content, unde r audio. I think if the audio input given is multichannel or Dolby Atmos, then it changes to receiver speakers but not under pcm 2.0 input. I m not sure whether it is peculiar to my he or that is the hw & sw is configured.

set default speakers for apple tv 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.