Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get a .dmg file of Yosemite or El Capitan that I can install on Parallels

Hundreds and hundreds of hours, thousands upon thousands of dollars doing video in Final Cut Studio, all of no use because FCP doesn't translate the project files.

So if I install the old OS version as a VM in parallels I can then run the old Final Cut on that.

Trouble is the download links only download an installer app, which off course doesn't work for me.

I need the actual .dmg file for the operating system so that Parallels can install the older OS as a VM.

Can anyone help here please. Otherwise I'm going have to spend more money to buy a refurbished machine with the OS on it. One more machine I don't need, I've already got plenty.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 1:23 PM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2021 2:13 PM in response to davidcushworth

All the below must be performed from a couturier that Qualifies to run El Capitan. There is a DMG file but nothing for Yosemite

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Others may not work

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

Any of the above may or will interfere with the Download process

How do I get a .dmg file of Yosemite or El Capitan that I can install on Parallels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.