Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overscan issue with mac connected to Samsung LCD TV via HDMI

Irritatingly, the image overscans - but - if I looked at the back of the TV ( not a monitor ) there is an HDMI socket labeled DVI. This obviously stands for Digital Video Interface - what is less obvious is that it does NOT overscan :-) Thanks to many helpful posts - that are shut now so I can't update them

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 7:10 AM

There is no use of automated response methods here on the Apple User-to-User Support Community.

If the response you got seems inappropriate, it is because you and the PERSON responding have failed to communicate. Perhaps you have not made yourself abundantly clear.

--------

Re: your technical issue, DVI is a different interface, easily adapted from HDMI with a simple re-wire. DVI is electrically and timing compatible with HDMI at up to 1920 wide. At 1920 wide, HDMI and DVI take different routes to higher resolution that are completely incompatible.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2021 7:10 AM in response to Simonron

There is no use of automated response methods here on the Apple User-to-User Support Community.

If the response you got seems inappropriate, it is because you and the PERSON responding have failed to communicate. Perhaps you have not made yourself abundantly clear.

--------

Re: your technical issue, DVI is a different interface, easily adapted from HDMI with a simple re-wire. DVI is electrically and timing compatible with HDMI at up to 1920 wide. At 1920 wide, HDMI and DVI take different routes to higher resolution that are completely incompatible.

Jul 14, 2021 6:10 AM in response to Simonron

Hello Simonron,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support communities. We understand that you are having issues with overscan. We would love to help you with this. 

This resource can be helpful with overscan and issues that may arise: About overscan and underscan on your Mac, Apple TV, or other display

Thank you for allowing us to support you.

Have an awesome and productive day!

Jul 14, 2021 7:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have another post covering the issue of not being able to run two external monitors on an M1 Macbook Air. My solution is to generate a second output via an old Apple TV box - hence the need to fix any overscan issues and use the DVI interface.

I hope this answer has been more clear. I really thought my first post had been totally misunderstood by an automated system - on re-reading it I see I had missed the core of my point - hence my reply to myself. I hope this proves of use to someone.

Overscan issue with mac connected to Samsung LCD TV via HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.