Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I receive text messages from my phone number on my new iPad? I can only receive iMessages. I have looked for setup in settings and only see iMessage.

Why can’t I receive text messages from my phone number on my new iPad? I can only receive iMessages. I have looked for setup in settings and only see iMessage.

iPad Mini 5, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 7:27 AM

To receive SMS on an iPad, you must have an iPhone that is setup for Text Message Forwarding. On your iPhone, go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding, and select your iPad.

9 replies

Jul 28, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Way Long

Way Long wrote:

When I try setting up as you suggested, I get a message saying my icloud and iMessage are different. What do I do?

Make them the same.

The Apple IDs used for both iCloud and iMessages on both devices need to be the same. On each device go to Settings->Messages->Send & Receive->Apple ID, and make sure its the same one you are using for iCloud under Settings->Account (top of settings)->email under your name there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.