Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

really really slow iMac

I've run EtreCheck and will past it here, I hope. My iMac is slow to do almost anything--switch apps, load, etc. EtreCheck seems to agree--it has issues. What next, please? Thank you!

Gail Z

EtreCheckPro version: 6.4.4 (6E015)

Report generated: 2021-07-11 20:00:27

Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 14:55

Performance: Poor

Problem: Computer is too slow

Description: 

iMac seems very slow. Beachballing, slow to do intra-Mac tasks like go

ing from app to app, opening apps, moving within apps (e.g., mail). Do

es better when it’s been in use for a while. 

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

Poor performance - EtreCheck report shows poor performance. This is unusual.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 2:55 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Notes:

• Please restart your Mac. It hasn't been restarted in 41 days.

Other than that, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. Very slow. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

-Jack

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2021 2:55 PM in response to Gail Zlatnik

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Notes:

• Please restart your Mac. It hasn't been restarted in 41 days.

Other than that, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. Very slow. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

-Jack

Aug 6, 2021 10:29 AM in response to Gail Zlatnik

In addition to Jack-19's recommendations be aware that at the time of purchase the model you bought, i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM and a 5400 rpm hard drive was the slowest iMac Apple offered at the time. It's the lowest, entry level iMac designed for simple text documents, web browsing and emailing.

Adding an external SSD drive to your iMac, cloning your boot drive to it with Carbon Copy Cloner, and running from that will vastly increase your boot speed, app and document launch speed and document save speed. It won't help processing files that are open as that's a function of the CPU and amount of memory.

if you decide to go the external SSD route consider of these depending on your budget and needs:

Envoy Pro EX with USB-C or USB 3 - best SSD from a speed vs price standpoint

OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3 - fastest if you have a Thunderbolt 3 port but more expensive

However, you should contact OWC's Customer Support to see which of their drives would best serve your needs and your iMac model. They are extremely knowledgeable.

Jul 13, 2021 5:59 PM in response to Jack-19

Thanks, Jack. I'll explore doing this--or putting up with the turtle-ish behavior for a while longer, then getting a new iMac.

Two things: First, this machine has given me more trouble, from the first day I plugged it in, than all the other Apples I've owned since c. 1983--a 512E (?), a PowerBook 100, etc., put together. So I have always assumed it has some sort of basic internal glitch. A loose screw perhaps.

Second, every time I do a restart, for whatever reason, my Photos Library gets lost. Sometimes I can make my iMac find it, sometimes it just shows up again on its own. So I avoid the usual occasional restarts. Will do it just for you, however.

Thanks for the help. I'm interested in any other input I get, before I shell out another $200+. After all, I'm very old and slow myself.

Gail

Aug 6, 2021 9:52 AM in response to Jack-19

Jack, or anyone else who can add something--

I'm wondering if the bad behavior of my iMac means that it's croaking. I do have backup through TimeMachine and an external disc, but the last thing I need is a dead iMac. I'm not used to such a short lifetime as this one's had so far--not quite 6 years old.

Any other ideas besides a new SSD?

THANKS!

gz

Aug 6, 2021 11:29 AM in response to Jack-19

Well, all that is news to me, OT! Serves me right for accepting what I tried at BBuy, maybe a bait and switch. I did no real research and we’ve always previously and since bought direct from Apple.

so I’ll continue to ponder and think about a new iMac. It’s true that I don’t really stress my iMac much—no games, CAD, etc., so it shouldn’t stress me. I hope I can trust its increasing pokiness not to mean it’s moribund.

thanks, both of you!

g

Aug 6, 2021 11:35 AM in response to Gail Zlatnik

I think you will find that BBY only sells base model Macs and thier low prices lure people in, defintely not their knowledge or service. As a general rule I only purchase directly from Apple and ensure I do my due dilligence so I can decide what configuration will best suit my needs. As BBY only sells base model machines, they simply cannot do that. In short, stay away from BBY for Apple products unless you really know what you are doing.

really really slow iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.